Study Permit

International students aspiring to study in Canada need apply for a document called the ‘study permit’, which allows them to study at a Designated Learning Institute (DLI) in Canada.

Please visit the list of Designated Learning Institutes in Canada.

To be eligible for study in Canada, you would need to:

  • Have been accepted by a Designated Learning Institute in Canada
  • Have sufficient funds to pay for the tuition fee, living expenses and return ticket for self and any accompanying family member
  • Be a law-abiding national, having no criminal record and must not be considered to be a threat to security of Canada (for this, you may need to furnish a police certificate)
  • Be in good health and ready to complete any medical examination (if needed)
  • Convince an Immigration officer that you shall move out of Canada after your authorized stay in Canada comes to an end

Depending on the individual case, there may be conditions on your study permit such as:

  • the level of studies you can attend
  • whether you are allowed to work in Canada
  • whether you’re allowed to travel within Canada
  • the date you must stop studying

Exceptions to the requirement of a Canada student visa:

  • Short-term studies (six months or less)
  • Family or staff of foreign representatives
  • Members of foreign armed forces
  • Registered Indians in Canada
  • Minor children in Canada

Understanding the different requirements needed to study in Canada can be a daunting process, but we are here to help. Our team of experienced immigration consultants can address your questions or concerns and provide you with the guidance you need to select the DLI and submit your application.